Thursday, May 29, 2008

Scared of Driving?

By Gagandeep Singh Tathgar

I was the only member in the family who got driving license late. I got my driving license at the age of 24. That is kind of embarrassing for a guy. So, why did it take me so long to get my license? Because I was simply scared to drive.

It takes a lot of guts to admit that for a guy. I was afraid to sit behind the wheel and drive the car on the road. My parents kept on pushing me to get my license, but the harder they pushed me the less interested I became in getting my license. This dragged on for few years. I even had to rewrite my written test because the first one expired. But I finally passed my driving test and got my license.

To get my license, I had to first over come my fear of driving. How did I do that?

1. Taking the car on the road for a spin

I had to basically make myself sit in the driver's seat and make myself drive. At first I took my brother with me. He is much younger than me and already had his license at the age of 17.

2. Having a positive mind about driving

One of the reasons I was afraid to drive was that I used to fear that I would get into an accident one day. This deterred me from driving for many years. This was simply a phobia which I had to over come myself.

3. Stop depending on others

I was depending on my friends and family to drive me around. As years passed by I started to feel embarrassed for not being able to drive. They started to get agitated with me. I couldn’t risk my friendship and my relations, so I began to drive alone slowly.

4. Practice makes perfect

I researched a lot on tips on learning how to drive and on safe driving. Before my road test I watched actual footage and videos of road tests to find out what I am expected on a road test. Next I practiced, practiced and practiced until I was confident.

So, if you're scared of driving and need motivation, just remember that you won't learn how to drive until you actual start to drive